Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Major life changes afoot

So we will be moving in with my Nana-in law sometime in the next few months. Whenever we can get the addition of a bathroom in the basement complete we will move. So many things are running through my head.

To start off I love Nana. She is such a strong woman who has seen so much and has such a beautiful heart and soul. I don't question at all moving in with her on any real basis. She will be 90 this September and is still sharp and doing everything for herself. There is no particular reason for us to move in, she is just slowing down and she and the rest of the family feels better to have someone there. I feel blessed that our life circumstances allow us to do this for her. I really feel that someone who has raised a family and done their best by them and worked hard their whole life deserve the dignity of staying in their own home for as long as they wish and is at all practical. I wonder somewhat if maybe our bad strokes of luck, the high housing prices, things have led up to us being able to do this for Nana. Led to my daughter being able to get to really know her Gigi and for her Gigi to get the full blessing of her first great grandchild. We gave our daughter Nana's middle name. Mikayla took it upon herself not long after she first started talking to name herself as her middle name. She is Mikayla Rose, and she will tell you in only the way a 2.5 year old can set you straight that she is Rosie. I can't help but wonder if it is a greater purpose at work, something behind the scenes (mind you I have no idea what is behind the scenes, I just think there is something there LOL), that set things in motion for this. So it is a goodness in our lives....

But it is a worry too as all things there are two sides of the coin. We will be living in another adult's house, and that is huge. This other adult is about to be 90 and has a few opinions about life, the universe, and everything. She also isn't particularly averse to sharing them with you bluntly! I worry, how will I adjust to relinquishing some control. And the loss of privacy for me and my husband and my daughter and God yes for Nana who has lived alone for over 20 years!! It will be an adventure.

I am glad I have decided to let myself speak here, I feel a bit more collected about this. It shall be an adventure. I think our culture often lacks in the inter-generational bonds and the teaching the respect for the elders who deserve it to our youth. I think we lose a lot of knowledge and repeat unneccesary lessons sometimes because we don't listen to the old people in our society. They have lived through the same crap as we are seeing today though it was packaged differently when they were our age... They have had an extended amount of time in retirement to figure out what all that crap meant, we should pay a bit more attention, they have some wisdom to share whether we agree with their conclusions or not. I see some room for love and gifts to my daughters spirit that can't be measured and she may not specifically remembered, but will serve her well. Hey if anyone is interested google What Did you Do in the War Grandma? My grandmother was the centerfold with me LOL! It was the best English project EVER. We interviewed women about their experiences during WWII and learned about oral history from University professors. I was the only one who interviewed my Grandmother. I didn't like my English teacher much (I have since reconsidered LOL) but she gave such a huge gift to me, I would never know those little tidbits I learned about my Grandmother. I highly reccommend if anyone has elderly grandparents or parents left that you intentionally interview them, you will be amazed at the results!!
Tata for now and thanks for reading,
Kat

2 Comments:

Blogger vatski said...

i still find it weird why americans can stand the idea of sending their old people to institutions or allow them to live alone.
here in my country, Philippines, we still live with our grandparents or we allow them to live with us; that's part of our culture.
people, here, are actually scared of living without at least a single child for fear of being alone when they grow old. that's probably why our population has increased exponentially :)
yeah, we really take care of our lolos and lolas, as we call them, not because that's what is asked of us but because they are still a part of the family.

2:16 AM  
Blogger Sublime said...

Hi Kat,

That interview with your Grandmother is wonderful! I read through it thinking it was such a gift to hear about her life. The details she recalled were astounding.

It makes me want to interview my Grandmother! Maybe I will...

6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home